If you’re watching Netflix on your TV, phone, or computer, you might have noticed that the language defaults to English. If you’re like me and don’t speak English as your first language, there’s no way to change this default setting to your native language in the app or online—but it is possible! Here are three simple steps to change the language on your Netflix account.
Table Of Contents
- 1 How to Change Language on Netflix
- 1.1 How to Change Language on Netflix Using Browser
- 1.2 How to Change Language on Netflix Using Android Smartphone
- 1.3 How to Change Netflix Language on Apple TV
- 1.4 How to Change Netflix Language on Roku
- 1.5 How to Change Netflix Language on iPhone
- 1.6 How do I change the Netflix language on Smart TV?
- 2 Conclusion
How to Change Language on Netflix
In order to change the language of your Netflix account here we have covered methods for all devices regardless of what you are using, so let’s dive into it.
To change language settings, log into your account, click your username in the top right corner, and select Your Account. From there, select Account Preferences. There are three tabs along that section of the page: Payment Information, Billing & Dates, and Membership. Under Membership is a drop-down menu labeled Language.
If you would like to add languages other than English (US), you can do so by scrolling down that drop-down menu and clicking Add a new language. Once you’ve added all of your desired languages, click Save at bottom of the page. You should now be able to switch between languages within your Netflix account under your own profile information on both the website and mobile application!
How to Change Language on Netflix Using Browser
The major language settings can be divided into two categories, one for Display language, which ultimately helps to change the overall Netflix profile’s user Interface while using, and the content language which only helps to change the default audio and subtitle language for movies and shows. Anyways we have covered both the part below, all you need is to just follow the step-by-step process.
- Login for Netflix ( visit) using a web browser.
- Click on your Profile icon at the top-right corner, and then click Account..
- Click on ” Change” next to”Language “Language” option located at the lower right. In case you’ve got multiple profiles you can click on the profile you prefer to reveal the option.
- Look at the circle to find the language you prefer to use as your Screen Language. To change the language of your Content you can scroll down and choose your preferred language in” Shows & Movies Language ” Shows & Movies Language” section.
- Finally you can finally, click save and then continue to use Netflix with the updated language.
You are able to choose an additional language for each profile. You can also select multiple languages for your content.
How to Change Language on Netflix Using Android Smartphone
Though a streaming service is undoubtedly one of our best finds of recent years, some serious issues still remain. Over at least two platforms – Android phones and iPhones – users were experiencing problems with getting subtitles to appear.
If you’re looking to change the language on Netflix but you have a problem getting it done, don’t worry. You’re not alone and I can help. Simply follow these steps to change the Netflix language on Android:
- Then, log in to the Netflix app on your mobile.
- Tap on your icons for profile in the upper-right corner.
- Then, scroll down to select account. This will allow you to access the account settings in your mobile device’s browser.
- Click the ” Change” before”Language “Language” option located at the lower right. In case you’ve got multiple profiles simply tap on the profile you want to use to open the options.
- Find the circle with the language you prefer to use for Screen Language and the language of your movie and show..
- Finally then, finally, click save and then continue to use Netflix with the updated language.
The change in language between one platform can change it on the server side. Thus, you’ll be able to get the updated settings on any device that you want to use.
In order for us non-English speakers (and sometimes even native English speakers) to fully immerse ourselves in these American series and UK TV shows, we need these subs, but no such luck. So what’s a person of culture and language to do? Here are 3 easy steps for you all. Let’s get started! 1. Go to your device settings
Take note that Netflix doesn’t allow you to change the default language settings through using the Smart TV app. You are able to watch an episode or film in the language of your choice by changing the subtitles or audio.
- Choose Apps
- Find the Netflix app and tap it once
- Press Force Stop
- Uninstall or disable updates for now
- You’re done! All done. The next time you open up Netflix again, the problem should be fixed and every subtitle will work just fine. It should also fix any other issues that might arise like not being able to pause playback or slow loading times so give it a try if that’s your concern too! Happy viewing folks.
Also, remember that if you are using two accounts with different languages and Netflix detects one of them was using a different language, it’ll ask you if you want to switch accounts, so choose wisely! These three easy steps should be all you need in order to start changing the language on your Netflix account. Just follow these steps and you should be good to go in no time at all!
You can also check out How to Turn Off Netflix Subtitles on All Devices
How to Change Netflix Language on Apple TV
Nowadays, everyone watches their favorite shows and movies online, whether that be through a cable subscription or by streaming services like Netflix. The first thing you need to do is head over to your account settings by clicking Your Account in your web browser’s top menu bar. If you don’t have a specific device, and only watch shows on a computer or laptop, then simply log in with your credentials like usual.
For Apple TV 2/ Apple TV 3
- If you own an older Apple TV then follow the following instructions:
- Hold the middle button of the Siri Remote (Apple TV remote).
- Select the language that you would like to use by pressing the “Audio and Subtitle” menu which appears.
For Apple TV HD/ Apple TV 4K
- Hold and click to the left to the Apple TV remote.
- Select the language you wish to use by selecting the “Audio and Subtitle” menu that pops up.
Once you’re logged in, look for Language under Netflix Plan & Playback Preferences and click it. Clicking Edit will allow you to choose which language you’d like when watching shows and movies available in more than one language.
You can either select the Automatic option, where your language preference will change based on what show you are watching, or select a different language from the list of options. You’ll want to make sure that if English isn’t your native tongue, then you change this setting so as not to become confused by captions and dialogue from other languages!
How to Change Netflix Language on Roku
First, go into Settings and select General. On there, you’ll see Language & Region. Select your language (it can be English) and then select Restart Apple TV. This is because Apple requires a restart before it will let you change your location data. After restarting, head back into Settings again, then Accounts & Passwords, and select Sign Out of All Accounts.
If you want to keep your account open (so you can switch back if needed), check out our other tips for changing countries here. Next, go back into Settings, select General again and choose Country or Region from there. You can either use Current Location or select your desired country and press Done. Lastly, just log back in with your username and password that you chose during sign-up, and you should be good to go!
How to Change Netflix Language on iPhone
You’re all set to enjoy watching your favorite show but you’re a bit disappointed that it isn’t in your native language. The best way to deal with such a situation is by choosing a language of your choice, but if you are using an iPhone, then changing the Netflix language won’t be possible with a few taps.
- First, begin the program you’d like watch.
- Then, stop the video, and then click the button to display captions at the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
- Choose your preferred audio and subtitles language.
- Select to Apply Click Apply, and you’re all set to take off.
If you do not see the language you’d like to use in the subtitles or sounds section, you should check the language option in the main settings using the procedure described above.
So, how can you switch between languages? What will be the cost? Can I continue watching as if nothing happened? These are just some of those questions which will crop up when considering changing your streaming service preferences.
But fear not! We’ve done our homework and we have more than three steps for switching languages on an iPhone. Here we go 1) From home screen, tap Settings > General > Language & Region
2) Tap English (US) under Languages
3) Scroll down and tap English (UK) under Languages
4) Tap Done at the top right corner. That’s it!
How do I change the Netflix language on Smart TV?
Netflix offers you various language options and choosing your preferred one is a very easy process. Follow these 3 simple steps in order to do so: Step 1: Go to your account page. Sign in to your Netflix account and click on the My Profile tab which appears at the top of any page within your account section. Step 2: Find out where you want to change the language.
In My Profile, you can find several sub-sections such as Personal Info, Device Preferences or Preferred Language, and Alternate Audio Tracks in which you will be able to find all of your available languages that can be changed by clicking directly on it. Now, go ahead and choose your new language! After making this decision, click on Update Preference. You’re done! The changes will take effect automatically for all of your future visits to Netflix and watching videos from thereon.
Changing your language preferences is a fairly simple process that can be completed in just a few steps. You’ll need to access your account settings and then find a button or link that allows you to change language options. From there, you’ll be able to choose between Spanish and English (or whatever languages are available) and, from there, change your default language.
If you want to switch back to your original language, simply follow these same steps again. If changing your language doesn’t work for some reason, try using Google Chrome as an alternative browser on a computer with the same operating system as yours.
Does changing language also change the default subtitle language?
Many of you have probably noticed that when you start watching a movie or TV show, you’re given an option between English and Spanish subtitles. So far, so good—but if you change your language setting on your Netflix account, will it also affect which language appears in subtitles?
Good news: No! Changing your language preference won’t change any subtitle preferences—which is likely good news for those of us who watch shows that aren’t dubbed in our preferred language. It may seem like a small thing, but hey, a win is a win! (And if want to see movies or shows with subtitles in other languages than those offered by default, don’t worry; there’s still a way!)